Relocation is never an easy task. It requires thorough preplanning regarding how to execute the whole procedure. However, besides the several headaches like when to move, how to move, which packer and mover to hire etc, the thing that makes one freak out the most is when you think of what to do with your existing items. You may get confused regarding whether to move them into your new home or sell all or some of the items and buy new stuffs in new home. So in order to help you out from this confusion of whether to move or sell items, I will guide you regarding what to do before relocating. Continue reading Whether to Move or Sell Items: Here’s how to decide when relocating
Home relocation in itself is a very stressful activity and if it is during some bad weather condition like rainy season, it worsens the situation. Generally, none of us will want to relocate on a rainy day due to lots of added hassles but sometimes due to emergency or other reasons we are bound to relocate during rainy season. Now it can also happen that you are lucky enough and it may not rain that day. But that must not stop you from getting prepared for the worst. Well, in case you are a bit confused regarding how to handle this pressure of home relocation during rainy season, this post is a must read for you. Here’s an ultimate guide for home relocation in rainy season. If you follow those 14 tricks carefully, you should not have any issue relocating your home this monsoon.
Packing is a crucial step in home relocation. And unless you know how to pack your home perfectly, you may end up in a mess. Here are the smart packing tips that will make you feel like a pro and relocate your home in one day, without any hassles. Continue reading How to Pack Your Home to Move in One Day?
Packing and shifting of entire household goods is not going to be easy, unless you have done it several times and you are a do it yourself person. There are many complications from arranging appropriate packing materials to finding labor, truck, insurance and all is not going to be easy. Continue reading 11 Common Mistakes to Avoid When Hiring Movers and Packers
When it comes to house shifting, overall cost, time and effort required can give you shills down your spine. Both local and interstate house shifting can be tiring and stressful, especially if you have never relocated in the past. There are so many tasks to look at and it’s not going to be easy, and hence you decide to book movers and packers services. But even if there is a mover to help you relocate, having a bit of prior knowledge or experience of house shifting can be phenomenal. And if you are planning to house shifting and wondering about the stress, time, money and everything else, then here’s the post worth checking.
House shifting can be a messy affair, because there are several uncertainties. Finding rates of movers, proper packing, loading, unloading and transit insurance are some of the important concerns. And the mantra to have a stress free house shifting is prior planning and adequate understanding of the process and people involved (read movers).
On the basis of your research, you can decide what to do and what not to do. There is no shortcut to this, planning a month before the actual move will make the home shifting hassle free, and you will have enough time in your hand to relax and enjoy some quality time with friends and family.
House shifting hacks to save time and stress
Here are the quick and simple hacks to help you save time, money and stress when shifting a house, and all household articles.
- Start to maintain a diary or a writing pad where you can jot down all the smallest details. This way you won’t forget anything, and you will find all the things at your fingertips.
- Start packing prior to one month, at least so that you do not run out of time.
- Visit the local retail stores and see for the boxes and crates if they have some. If you are well acquainted with them, then you can get some of the packing supplies from them.
- Do the packing yourself (for smaller and hardy items) using original boxes, to cut off the extra budget on packing.
- Ask your friends and cousins to help you packing, you cannot do all the packing yourself.
- Arrange fun foods like pizza and drinks, and then involve all your acquaintances to help you packing your items. This way, you can spend some time with them too.
- Collect all the newspapers and bubble wraps that you can get, and use them while packing.
- Apply lots of packing tapes; use the tapes in the box joints. Taping is not to just close the box, but it also gives strength to the box to carry appropriate weight.
- Wrap the brittle items and glassware in towels so that you do not have to buy them again after you reach your new home. Pack them well so that they can endure the journey.
- Use bed sheets, linens and crumpled newspapers as cushions while packing the items.
- It is best to use the original boxes of the appliances so that they can be in good conditions.
- Do not hire the professionals for packing and unpacking as this can save some extra money.
- Pack the items which you use daily and frequently, which is necessary for you, do not include the items that you do not need.
- Get rid of the unwanted items, or the items that you do not use. You can donate them, put them on sale and also throw them. If you put them on sale then you can earn some extra bucks for you too.
- The more the number and weight of the items, the higher will be the rate of home shifting.
- Choose a weekday for shifting, as the rates tend to go higher in the weekends.
- Be flexible with the dates and time, have detail conversation with movers.
- Talk to at least 3 moving companies of your city before freezing one. Comparing often gives you best of ideas and helps you bargain and get better deal.
- Always take chance with bargaining, but don’t do too much of bargaining, else the mover may compromise with the quality of packing.
- And last but not the least, have a post move plan in place.
Over to you
You may have many concerns when you’re moving house, and each of the concern can be addressed by adequate planning. In most of the cases, inadequate planning results in plenty of hassles and stress.
And the mantra of moving house without any stress is to plan properly, research well and know everything in detail. Figure out the date of moving, check quotations; find the detailed process of packing, packing supplies being used and terms of insurance.
Apart from that, just ensure that you have sorted your inventory well, compared and negotiated with potential house shifting companies and finalize everything well ahead of actual moving day.
Try these hacks when you’re moving house next time and share your experiences. And if you know any other hacks that may help in saving, time, money or stress when moving house, then feel free to share it by commenting below.
Wishing you a happy and peaceful relocation!
You may have to relocate temporarily for various reasons. You may have to relocate for a few months on a temporary job assignment, or you may have to relocate while constructing your own house, or to take care of your parents; there could be many reasons literally. And one of the toughest call that you have to make is to how, and what to pack for temporary relocation. You may feel the need to have a packing list for short term relocation. And if you are relocating temporarily, and wondering about what to pack and how, then here’s the post worth reading. In this post, I am going to help you pack for a temporary relocation. Continue reading How to Pack for Temporary Relocation with Packing List
There is a general conception and belief that moving across town or local shifting is much easier than a long distance move, mainly because of shorter distance. Moving across town is commonly called the local shifting. Here, you will move within your own city or to a nearby suburb/town. When you move from Kolkata to Naihati or from Navi Mumbai to Vashi, this is local shifting. But moving your house from one place to another, whatever the distance be, is a task full of hassles and challenges. Continue reading Local Shifting – Ultimate Guide to Pack & Move House Locally in India
Apartment moving may appear like a much complicated task and you may be true to a good extent. To a good extent because there are so many smaller tasks and activities involved and unless everything falls into Place, you may end up in a mess. But apart from this, moving will become much easier when you know how to get it right. There are certain preparations and precautions that you need for apartment moving and that’s what I am going to talk about in this post. Continue reading 11 Apartment Moving Tips and Hacks worth Knowing
You have completed your class 12 with flying colours, now you are set to study the subject of your choice in a degree course. Congratulations for your success. The college life awaits you. You have watched in many movies the rocking college life, the more colourful hostel life, and you are expecting to have a similar good time in your life too. This is the first time you will leave your home, and stay in hostel, so called unknown place, and for that, I am sure you will want some tips. We often receive enquiries from student via live chat on ServiceSutra about what to pack and how to move essential things. In this post, I want to discuss about how to do best packing for hostel. If you are moving to a hostel and wondering what is to be packed and how then this is the post worth reading. Continue reading Packing for Hostel – Things worth packing when moving to a hostel
If you want to have your relocation smooth and without any hassles, then the most important mantra is planning, rather prior planning keeping much time in hand. If you start packing the things only few days before the moving, then it is bound to create unnecessary problems. I cannot help you to avoid the moving, but what I can do is give you some crucial tips to guide you. In my article, I will discuss the list of essential things to do weeks before moving day. Continue reading How to Prepare to Move House in Four Weeks (Checklist)