In today’s world, homeowners and business owners have no time to deal with repairs, renovations, and replacements of appliances, furniture, equipment, and others. That’s why hiring the best tradesmen can save a lot of time, money, and effort.
In this post, you’ll learn more about what a tradesman is and what they do.
What are tradesmen?
A tradesman, also known as a craftsman, is a skilled handcraft worker in any trade or profession. Socially and economically, the level of skill and knowledge possessed by a tradesman is generally considered to fall between a teacher and a specialist, with an exceptional level of both theoretical and practical knowledge about their trade. The word tradesman comes from the Latin words tar, meaning ‘tray,’ and sistrum, meaning ‘stone.’
Take a look at the following examples of tradesmen:
If you’re looking for someone to whom you can entrust your home, business, or property, you can always find a tradesman for hire online.
What are traders?
Traders are tradesmenwho deal with the buying and selling of goods and services. There are three main types of tradesmen: brokers, bankers, and retail dealers. Each category has its own distinct characteristics, such as size and number of employees. Each of these three groups is usually made up of one of three types of people, each having different traits and qualifications.
- Brokerage Dealer: A brokerage dealer is a broker or an agent of a broker. Although a broker must be registered with the FSA (Financial Services Authority) for the commission of trading in securities and financial instruments, this does not mean that they have any special knowledge or skills in the field of securities or financial instruments; therefore, they can’t offer advice in their area of expertise.
- Retail Dealer: A retail dealer is someone who deals only with the buying and selling of goods and services, and is often employed by a retailer (a major retailer) to sell the goods. Retail dealers may have their own stores, which employ staff for their day-to-day tasks, but they may also work on their own as independent agents. A retail dealer may also be a part-owner of a retailer.
- Financial Dealer: A financial dealer is an individual or a business that buys, leases, or sells financial instruments and securities, such as bank accounts. They may also deal with pension fund investments.
With the shortage of tradesmen today, qualifications are less strict. The qualifications vary from one state to another. There is no universal qualification for tradesmen, but some qualifications are more commonly possessed by tradesmen than others. In some states, one must only pass certain examinations to become a tradesman.
Traders need to understand the importance of qualifications, skills, and experience in order to become a successful trader, and must understand that some tradesmen are more highly qualified than others.
What tradesmen do
The job description of a tradesman generally includes helping homeowners and business owners resolve issues and finish tasks easily, such as the following:
- Electrical issues: Fix faulty wiring, install electrical fixtures, and perform electrical repairs
- Plumbing problems: Repair broken or clogged drains, toilet bowls, and sewer lines
- Tree removal: Dangerous trees are pruned or cut down to avoid damage to properties and possibly hurting people
- Construction and renovation: Builders are sought to build new houses or commercial establishments. Also, construction workers can remodel or renovate properties, including adding home extensions.
- Cleaning and maintenance: Cleaning and maintenance of garages, parkways, homes, and offices.
Important considerations when hiring tradesmen
You cannot just hire any tradesman just because the person was referred by a friend or relative. You have to conduct a thorough research to avoid any trouble, such as delayed work.
Take a look at the following important things to consider when hiring a tradesman:
- Make sure the tradesman comes from a reputable company. Tradesmen are usually employed by firms based in your area.
- Look for permits and licenses—without these, your prospect is most likely a scam.
- Deal with tradesmen with good reputation, which you can know by checking reviews.
- Ask for character references and call each to ensure credibility and security.
Tradesmen or craftsmen are highly skilled workers who can help homeowners and business owners with their plumbing or electrical needs, or any type of job requiring contractor services. They are most sought to maintain, repair, and replace fixtures for a fast and efficient completion of tasks at hand. Hiring reputable tradesmen saves time, effort, and money, with assurance of good quality of work.