Are you having a hard time decorating and arranging your small living room, which is too small to properly accommodate or arrange too many stuffs? Don’t be hopeless, take it up as a challenge! The basic challenge while decorating or arranging a small living room is its tiny space, which evokes a claustrophobic feeling. Thus, you need to clear up the clutters in order to dispel the gawky look. But that wouldn’t be a big issue if you properly plan things.
Here are some ways that will help you to arrange all the stuffs in your small living room beautifully.
Arranging furniture in living room
- Start off the arrangement by spotting or choosing a focal point, in the living room. This can be anything, your big television, fireplace, or the sofa/couch placed in the living room. After spotting the focal point, start arranging the rest of the room.
- First, position the largest piece of furniture, and then arrange all the other small units in and around it. The largest piece of furniture in a living room is usually the sofa, which should be placed right opposite to the television or the home-theatre.
- Arrange all the small chairs and other seats around the sofa in such a way that, they are perpendicular to it. The small sitting units should either be angled inwards in order to create a conversation area, or should be facing towards the television.
- Place a centre table in between the sofa and the television. And you may also place a side table, at the side of the sofas.
Review accessories of the living room
- The foremost thing that you have to think while arranging a living room, is to keep it spacious and clutter free. Fix floating shelves or slim cabinets in the living room, which can be used to store loads of things. These shelves and cabinets can be used to display many decorative items too.
- A flat LED TV can be mounted on the wall, and a book-shelf can be placed just beside it, to make the area look good. You may also opt to fix a book-shelf on top of the television set.
- Make the space cosy by placing a throw rug in the center. Alternatively, you can even use it to demarcate the conversation area.
Basic rules to keep in mind
- Make sure that you don’t cram your living room with too many sitting units. Avoid cluttering the place with plenty of knick-knacks, and other decorative items.
- While placing the furniture, make sure they don’t block doorways or the hallways. None of these pieces should even obstruct the walls.
- Every knick-knacks and furnitures should match the theme of the living room.
Over to your
Honestly speaking, there are no hard and fix rule to arrange a small living room. You can do whatever makes you and your guests comfortable. After all, its you who will understand what best suits your home. If you are still unsure about following these tips and arranging your small living room yourself, then hire an interior designer, who can help you get your living room revamped with their magic touch.
If you have an experience of re-arranging your living area in a different way, then please share it with us in the box below.