Due to lack of space and increasing prices of properties, size of the living room has decreased significantly. 3 BHK flats are available in less than 900 SQFT carpet areas. Naturally, we end up with a smaller living room and other rooms. If you feel that size of your living room is comparatively smaller, there is no reason to worry. There are ways to make living room brighter and bigger. The living room is a semi formal space of your sweet home, and hence you should put lots of efforts in looking at what to do to make the room uncluttered, brighter, bigger and beautiful. It’s important to know how to decorate the living room so that it look good. It’s also important to know what not to do and what to do while decorating the living room and that’s what we are going to discover in this post.
I want to share some quick and simple ways to help you make living room brighter and bigger.
Whatever the size of the room is, if you can decorate it properly, it’s going to look good. Making the room look bigger and brighter has nothing to do with huge monetary investments. You can decorate the living room on budget by following some the tricks we are discussing hereunder.
Tips to make living room brighter and bigger
You can’t really alter the layout of the living room (civil changes, in most of the cases), but you can definitely decorate in such a way that it will look good. And here’s how to get it right;
- Light neutral shades: Select light neutral shades for the walls of the room, like beige or pop corn white. These kinds of light colours will make the room look bigger than the actual size. Leave the ceiling white so that it can reflect more light.
- Multiple functioning furniture: Buy ottoman furniture or sofa cum bed for the small living room. You can use the set of three drawers as table tops also. Try using the single furniture in maximum number of ways possible. If you are keeping a centre table in the room, then you can use the racks below it for keeping books and magazines, important bills etc. Like this, you do not have to keep extra furniture in the room for stashing your items.
- Windows: The windows and doors must be big enough so that the room looks more spacious. The doors and the windows will let in more natural lights in the room during the day time.
- Adjoining balcony: If you are staying in your house and not an apartment, then you can construct a balcony adjoining the living room. The balcony will make the room look bigger as it will be a continuation of the same space. You can decorate the balcony with hanging garden or some matching rugs and cushions, or even a hammock to make the room more appealing.
- Rugs: Do not use floor to floor carpets; rather keep some portions of the floor bare. Covering the total floor with carpets can make the room look much smaller.
- Curtains: Make the curtains long so that it touches the floors. The curtains must be wide enough to cover the whole window; it must exceed at least 2 inches on both the sides.
- Bright lights: Use very bright lights for the small room as the bright lights can really make the room look bigger.
- Monochromatic look: Give the room a monochromatic look; choose the colour of the curtains similar to the colour of the walls. This will make the room monochromatic. Also choose similar colours of rugs and couches so that they get along together.
- Mirror: Hang a mirror on the wall opposite to the light source, so that the light reflects and make the room look bigger and brighter.
Over to you
Brighter rooms are always better than the dull ones. Think properly, choose décor elements and accessories wisely and keep the overall theme lighter and you will have a nice, warm and bright living area. Apart from the tricks that I have shared above to make the room brighter and beautiful, don’t hesitate in taking professional help from an interior designer company.
How do you ensure that your living room is bright, look good and warm?
While the interior designing industry is booming in India and all over the world, the people showing interests in designing their homes and offices by experts are also rising immensely. And we have overcome the popular myth that the interior designing in India is an expensive affair and it is meant for the rich and wealthy people. Interior designing is not too expensive these days and there are smarter hacks that one can use to save money on interior designing for home and offices in India. Continue reading How to Save Money on Interior Designing in India
False ceiling as the name suggests is the secondary ceiling below the main structural ceiling of a room. Since it is attached with the primary structural ceiling, it is also known as suspended ceiling or drop ceiling. Initially it was used in commercial spaces like offices, but today false ceiling is also used in residential projects. If you are planning to get false ceiling done at your home and you are not quite sure about the process and how much does the false ceiling costs then continue reading. Continue reading False Ceiling Costs in India and How to Get it Done
Whether you agree or not, everyone want to have their own dream house that’s big and looks like a gigantic palace. But, unfortunately some can fulfill the dream of having a big house, and some cannot. But there’s nothing to be disheartened. So what if you cannot have a big home? You can definitely turn its interior into a palace with your own efforts. All you need to do is help yourself by thinking creatively, and molding the creative ideas into reality. In case of decorating your home, don’t feel afraid to experiment. Continue reading How To Furnish Studio Apartment and Save Space
Usually, suspended ceilings are more visible or found in commercial buildings, corporate houses, offices and malls. But nowadays, people are very much interested in creating suspend ceilings at their home, because they feel it will help the ceiling look amazing. Since most of us don’t really focus on decorating our ceilings, creating suspended ceiling isn’t a bad option at all. But do you know that suspended ceilings doesn’t just enhance the beauty of the rooms, but in also has many other crucial benefits? Unfortunately there are very few people who actually bother to create a suspended ceiling at home. Continue reading 7 Benefits of Suspended Ceiling at Home and Workplace
If you have recently bought or shifted to a new house, then you must have surely started decorating it right? And for few months or maybe a year, you’ll happily stay in the new house that you have decorated recently. But, will this love for your decorated home last? The love for your home would undoubtedly last, but the love for decorations is surely to fade with time; or maybe you’ll start finding some flaws in the interior design. That’s when you badly need an interior design makeover. Continue reading How to Know If Your Home Needs Interior Design Makeover
Everyone loves and wants to decorate their home, in order to make it look neat, gorgeous, and worth drooling. Therefore, when you love to keep your home decorated, wouldn’t you want to keep your office equally decorated? You would definitely want to decorate office space to make it look good and functional, right?
Continue reading How to Decorate Office Space – Office Interior Tips
Contemporary interior designing for your home requires you to have an eye for quality interior designers who can beautify your place with contemporary design elements. For contemporary Interior designing, the best approach is to minimize the uses of accessories to create an elegant and classy look instead of looking too cluttered or bulky due to heavy use of décor elements. Contemporary interior designing is an IN thing today. And if you like contemporary designs and wondering how to go about it, then the best thing you could do is to meet a couple of experienced interior designers in your neighborhood to discuss your design needs and get opinion and advise. Continue reading Contemporary interior designing tips for modern homes in India
Irrespective of the kind of bedroom interior you have done, it won’t be complete without a good quality mattress. After all if you don’t get good quality sleep for a few hours then what’s the fun of spending so much of time, effort and money on bedroom interior works?
While creating a budget for bedroom interior, you should always include a good quality bed, mattress and other interior décor elements like cushion and curtains. These small little things will give a great new look and make you feel comfortable which is very important. Continue reading Bedroom Interior: Here’s how to buy mattress in India
Whenever I used to visit my friends place and get vindicated by the grandeur and elegance of the interior design and decoration of his house, I used to believe that Interior design and decoration is a a very costly affair and only rich people can afford it. But when I asked my friend about his total expenses, what he told me was amazing and then only I realized that one can hire an interior designer for interior designing and decoration of flat even on a low budget. Continue reading Budget Friendly Tips for Interior Design and Decoration