The termites are tiny pests who can infect the wooden furniture of your home, and by the time you will know it, the damage has already been done. The termite infestation can destroy all the wooden furniture silently. Suddenly you will find holes all around, the mark of their presence. The termites manage to enter your home and feast on the décor items, but there are certain steps that you can take to prevent termite infestation. In this post, I am sharing some of the quick simple ways to prevent termite and eradicate termite infestation easily.
Termites are tiny or rather invisible insects, they can live happily ever after in your homes, and destroy your property silently. And that’s why it is important to prevent termite infestation and if it’s already infested, take necessary steps to get rid of it. Sharing is a good trait, but sharing your home with some pesky creatures is not at all a justified thing to do.
When my house was infested, I did not delay to call a local pest control agency, and the termites were gone within just a few days, it has been 13 years since then. Pest exterminator was kind enough to share these tips and I happy to share it with you all.
Ways to prevent termite infestation and treat it
Prevention is better than cure and rightly so in case of termites. Because once infected, it may be a little hard to eradicate termites completely, especially on your own.
Here are some of the best ways to prevent termite infestation and tips to eradicate and treat termites.
- Inspect their dwelling place: The very first thing that you can do is find their dwelling places. The termites are experts in hiding, so you have to be extra careful and vigilant. Not only wooden furniture, the termites can also hide behind the walls, destroying your home from in and out. Before you start taking further steps, the very first thing that you have to do is find them.
- Seal all the cracks and the tiniest holes: Sometimes, your eyes fail to notice the tiniest holes and cracks in the house, the cracks near the windows and doors, the small holes in the windows. You think that these holes are harmless, but they are not. These pesky creatures find their ways inside your home through these small holes and other such entry points. Seal them all, and close all the entry and exit points of the termites.
- Sunlight: Expose your wooden furniture and other termite infested objects in the sunlight. Termites often infest woods which are wet or moisture laden. So, it is advisable to keep them under the scorching sun to repel the pests and finally kill them.
- Boric acid: Sprinkle or apply a layer of boric acid on the furniture. The acid will dehydrate these termites and they will die eventually.
- Pesticides: There are some anti termite chemicals and other such products available in the market which you can apply. But if the infestation is very extreme then these products might not be of any use.
- Dry and clean home: The termites prefer your home as here there is food and water for them, and also your beautiful furniture where they can hide and feast at the same time. Maintain a clean and dry home, open all the windows everyday so that the sunlight can enter your rooms, removing all the moisture. Seal the cracks, and clean the furniture every day.
- Professional help: If the infestation is serious, then it’s better to take professional help from an exterminator. Pest exterminators can quickly inspect, analyze and do the required treatments to remove termites. They will bring their own pesticides, chemicals and equipments required to treat termites.
Over to you
Now that you know what you can do to prevent termite infestation, you should inspect your house and prevent it from termite infestation. If it’s already infested, try treating it with the techniques we have already discussed. If required, don’t hesitate to take help from a professional termite exterminator, available locally in your city.
What else, do you think, one can do to prevent and treat termite infestation at home?