Ok. So here is a huge compilation of quick and easy cleaning tips and hacks that even a lazy person like me found to be effective. Whether you are struggling with removing the stains of nail polish, lipstick or chewing gum, these cleaning tips and hacks can help you deal with several other cleaning issues.
You can clean your home quite effectively if you know how to clean smartly and effectively. But at times, you may not have any clue about dealing with odd spots and spills like wine or chewing gum, rust etc. But I am sharing some of the most effective cleaning tips and hacks in this post that you can use easily on your own.
Compilation of best cleaning tips and hacks
Let me be honest and accept it. I am the laziest person you may ever meet when it comes to cleaning. I also like to keep my space clutter free, neat and clean, but I depend on my housemaids for all types of cleaning at my home. But recently, she left and I was without a maid for around 6 weeks and ended up in a big mess. I explored and found many cleaning tips and hacks which are quiet effective. I am sharing most of those tricks and hacks and hope it help you.
1. Remove oil stains from carpet: If you have spilled oil over your carpets, then don’t worry, because there’s a way out to deal with such an issue at ease. After you have spilled out, the first think you need to do is, get rid of the excess oil by sprinkling baking soda or corn starch. Then make a mixture of 1tablespoon dish washing liquid, one tablespoon white vinegar and two cups of warm water. Take a white micro fiber cloth and dip it in the solution, and scrub the area of the carpet where oil has spilled. Then sponge the marks with cold water, and finally blow dry the wet areas.
2. Cleaning kid’s toys: To clean your kid’s toys, what you can do is place all the toys in a bucket and pour two cups of vinegar on them, and then dilute a bit with water; let it stay for few minutes. And that’s it, you are done cleaning your kid’s toys.
3. Remove ink stains from carpet: To clean ink spots from a carpet just blot the stain as soon as it has fallen on the carpet. Then use rubbing alcohol to scrub away the stain. After you have scrubbed the area with rubbing alcohol, use a mixture of vinegar and warm water to risen the area and then dry it.
4. Clean your sofa: If you want to clean your sofa and keep it germ free, then what you can do is sprinkle baking soda over it and then keep it for an hour or two, so that the baking soda reacts over the couch’s germs. Then, use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the entire sofa. If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner then use normal brush to brush the powder away.
5. Clean spilled nail polish: After you have accidentally spilled over a nail polish bottle, start cleaning the mess as soon as possible before it dries, gets harden, and becomes difficult to clean. To clean nail polish stains you can pour nail polish remover over the stains, let it sit for a minute, and then clean it up using a paper towel. If you find that the stains are hard to remove, then spray hair spray over the stains and let it sit for a while, then remove it using a paper towel again.
6. Remove paint from clothes: The method which I’m going to tell you regarding removing paint from clothes is really wired. While removing paint from clothes, what I really felt worked out for me is a men razor; you can use any other razor too. But, while using a razor be careful; don’t accidentally cut your fingers or your clothes. Just take the razor and slowly, gently scrub away the paints from the clothes.
7. Cleaning wine stains: Get some hydrogen peroxide and pour it slowly on the wine stain and let it sit for some time like 10-15 minutes Time to blot and wine stain will disappear.
8. Clean air vent: To clean an air vent just take a butter knife, place a tiny thin rug over it, and use it to clean the crevices. Make sure the rug and knife is sleek enough to enter the air vent’s crevices easily. This way you can clean up your air vents.
9. Remove stains from ceramic plates: To remove scratch marks from ceramic plates just use toothpaste or a paste mix of plain Baking Soda and water.
10. Cleaning window blinds: To clean window blinds just mix vinegar and water in 1:1 ration, take a old socks, dip it in the solution and clean the blinds easily. Your blinds will not only be well cleansed, but also look new.
11. Clean mattress: Best way to clean your mattress is by using baking soda. Take your baking soda’s can or box and drop 10-20 drops of essential oil in it, and mix it well so that there’s no clump. Then sprinkle the baking soda over your mattress and rub it well. Let the baking soda and essential oil work for an hour or two, and then vacuum the powder or brush it away using a hard bristle brush.
12. Clean lipstick stains: To clean lipstick stains from your clothes, just spray hair spray over the stain, rub it with a wet and soft cloth, and then wash it with your regular detergent.
13. Remove marker stain from wood: To remove marker pen’s marks from your wooden furniture or floor, just apply some white toothpaste over it, and then rub it using a damp microfiber cloth or paper towel. And you’ll see that the marks have vanished completely.
14. Clean greasy stains from clothes: The easiest way to get rid of grease stains from your clothes is by using chalk. You just need to rub chalk over the grease before you wash your clothes. After the wash, you’ll not find a single greasy stain. Try chalk, it is magical!
15. Clean keyboards using brush: The easiest way to clean the dust mites from your laptop or desktop’s keyboard is by brushing away the dust using a tooth brush. You can also use a hair dryer to blow way the tiny dust particles.
16. Clean oven: To clean a oven, first remove all the racks and then scrap away all the debris using a spatula. Take a cup of baking soda (depending on the oven size), and sprinkle it on the base of your oven. Then, spray vinegar-water solution (1:1 ratio) over the baking soda and spread the mixture using a spatula. Let it stand for some time and then wipe it using a sponge or microfiber cloth.
17. Clear clogged drain: To clear a clogged drain, first remove all the dirt and hair which you can see over the drain’s mouth. Then, pour half-cup baking soda into the basin followed by vinegar, and let it bubble. After fifteen minutes pour hot water through the drain, and you’ll immediately get relieved from clogged drain.
18. Clean kitchen cabinet doors: To clean your kitchen cabinet’s doors, take a brush and dip it in a mixture of vegetable oil and baking soda, and then use it to scrub over the cabinet’s door to clean it.
19. Remove hair from carpets: To remove hair from carpets you just need a squeegee. Just take the squeegee and roll it over the carpet until and unless all hair has been removed.
20. Clean tooth brush: To clean your tooth brush, you just need to fill a jar with vinegar (half jar), and dip the tooth-brush’s bristle in the solution. Let the brush stay in the solution for 15-30 minutes, and then take them out.
21. Remove coffee stains: To remove coffee stains just mix baking soda and water, make a thick paste and apply it over the stain. Then scrub the stain gently using a sponge, eventually you’ll see the stains are fading.
22. Clean shower head: If you want to clean your shower head in an easy way, then just pour distilled vinegar in a plastic bag, and wrap the shower head inside that plastic bag tightly; keep it in the same way overnight. The next morning remove the plastic and wash the shower head with water. You’ll see, all the water marks have gone.
23. Clean window: To clean windows (glass windows), you’ll just need vinegar and water. Just mix one cup vinegar to one cup water, and pour it in a spray bottle. When you are cleaning the windows just spray the solution, and wipe the area with microfiber cloth.
24. Clean spilled glitters: To clean up the spilled glitters from floor, just take a dough of artificial clay, and roll it over the area where you have spilled glitters.
25. Clean makeup brushes: To clean makeup brushes, first wet the brush then pour some baby shampoo over it to clean it up completely. Then wash it thoroughly and keep it under the sun till it dries, or blow dry it.
26. Remove rust from knives: Rusty knives can be easily cleaned using lemon juice. Just soak your rusty knives in lemon juice, and let it stay in the solution until the rusty spots goes away.
27. Remove hard water stains: To remove hard water stains, just take a lemon and cut it into half, and just rub it over all the bathroom accessories to remove all the stains created by water.
28. Clean up cloudy glassware: If you find your glassware to look cloudy, then don’t worry, there’s a way to clean it up. Glassware become cloudy due to calcium buildup, and it is said that petroleum jelly can effectively clean those cloudy stains. So, just apply Vaseline or any other petroleum jelly over the cloudy marks on the glass, keep it for 4-5 days, and then clean it up. Or else you can also use vinegar to clean up the stains, just like I have mentioned about cleaning glass windows.
29. Clean engagement ring: If you see that your engagement ring is loosing its charm, then just apply toothpaste on it, scrub it as long as you can, and finally wash it.
30. Hide scratches on leather furniture: If you have a couch made of leather, and if you have a pet at home, especially cat, then scratches over your cozy couch is inevitable. But, there’s a way to hide it. Thinking how? It’s by using a black shoe polish. Just apply the shoe polish over the scratches, and the scratches will be instantly gone.
31. Remove burn marks from pan: If you want to remove burn marks from your pan, then add vinegar over it, let it boil; and after boiling, take it off from the heat. After removing it from heat, add two tablespoon baking soda, and wipe it off with a cloth or sponge. You’ll see that most of the burnt marks are gone.
32. Clean microfiber couch: To clean your micro fiber couch you’ll just need rubbing alcohol, and a sponge or a brush. First, pour the rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and saturate the stains on your couch. Then just take a sponge and start scrubbing the area gently, you’ll see the dirt is coming onto your sponge. After this let the couch dry, and finally brush the area with a soft bristle brush in swirling motion.
33. Clean coffee grinder: If your coffee grinder is smelly, then the best way to get rid of that smell is by using uncooked rice. Take a hand-full of uncooked white rice, then pour it in the coffee grinder and grind it. The coffee grinder will become smell free instantly.
34. Remove white heat marks from furniture: If your furniture have sustained any white heat marks while serving a hot bowl of food, then the best way to clean it up is by folding a napkin and placing it on top of the white mark, spray a bit water over the napkin, and then iron the napkin area for at least 15 seconds. Remove the napkin and you’ll see the stain has gone!
35. Clear off oil stains from garage floor: To clean and clear the oil marks from garage’s floor, spray some coco-cola over it, let it sit for 5minutes, and then scrub the area with a tough bristle brush. That’s it; you are done cleaning your garage floor.
36. Remove scratch marks from wood: If your wooden furniture have sustained scratches, then fix it before it gets worse. Just mix ½ cup olive oil and ½ cup vinegar. Then take a rag or a sponge, dip it and the solution and clean your furniture. This tip will easily remove all the scratches from your furniture.
37. Clean the blender: To clean your blender just fill it with water, pour a few drops of dish washing liquid in it, then blend the ingredients well. After blending, throw away the liquid and clean the blender with water thoroughly.
38. Clean the grouts: To clean your bathroom grouts either use baking soda or bleach. First, wet the area where you are going to sprinkle either of them, then sprinkle baking soda or bleach, scrub that area with a hard bristle brush, and finally clean the area with water. You’ll see that the dirt from the grouts is gone.
39. Clean your towels: With regular usage, your towel will surely develop a mildew stink; isn’t it? So, to remove that stinky smell, take a bucket fill it with hot water, pour vinegar as much as required (depends on the towel size), then let the towel soak in the bucket. After letting it soak take it out and hang it to dry under sun.
40. Remove bathtub rings: To clean your bathtub’s ring stains, just sprinkle salt over the stains, take a grape fruit and rub the stained area gently. Then wash it off, and you’ll see the stains are gone.
41. Clean microwave bowl: To clean a microwave bowl, just fill it with water and dish washing liquid soap. Then take the bowl and place it in your microwave and turn on the microwave oven for one minute. After this process just throw the liquid and use a wet sponge to clean the bowl; that’s all.
42. Clean refrigerator’s indoor dish: To clean your refrigerator’s indoor dishes, just take them out and pour a certain amount of vinegar on them, and let it stand for 20 minutes. Then wipe of the stained area with a sponge gently.
43. Clean the dust from lamp-sheds: To clean your lamp-shed just buy a lint roller, and roll it over your lamp-shed to clear off the dust sticking to it.
44. Clean garbage disposals: To clean your garbage disposal, add one part vinegar to eight part water, pour the solution in an ice tray, then add small slices of lime over each slot in the tray and place it in your freezer, and use it when it turns to ice-cubes. Then, take the ice cubes and pour them inside the garbage disposable and turn it on, and run some water from the faucet to wash down all debris. That’s it; you are done cleaning your garbage disposable.
45. Cleaning garbage can: To clean your garbage can or bin just pour hot water in it, and keep the lid off. Then after sometime just throw away the liquid and wash the can with normal water and a hard bristle brush.
46. Dusting electronic goods: At times, we discover dust particles on some or the other corner of our electronic goods, which we cannot access easily to clean. So for that, what you can do is use canned air to remove dust from inaccessible areas.
47. Cleaning the pillows: With regular use we see that our pillows get yellowish in color, right? And to remove that yellowish ting you need one bucket water, one cup powdered dish washer detergent, one cup laundry detergent, one cup bleach, and half cup borax. Mix all the ingredients well and dip your yellowish pillows in it. Then take it out, squeeze excess water, and keep it under the sun until and unless it is completely dried.
48. Clean screens and monitors: Now this tip is an easy and amazing one. If you want to clean your computer monitors and television screens, then take a coffee filter and use it to clean the dust sticking over the screens/monitors.
49. Remove pet’s fur from sofa: To remove your pets fur from sofa wet your rubber gloves, wear it, and then rub your hands in swirling motion to remove pet’s fur.
50 Clean old dusty candles: If you have decorative/aromatic candles in your house, which have unfortunately turned dusty, then just grab a stocking and wrap it tightly around the candles. Then after sometime remove the stockings, you’ll see the dusts are sticking to the stocking, and your candles are completely clean.
51. Let your refrigerator smell great: Put new or already used coffee grounds in a bowl and keep it on a shelf for good smell. You may also use a couple of lemon slice and put it at different corners. And most importantly, never place any bowl/dish or other items that’s not covered
52. Clean iron: To clean your iron just take an aluminum foil and sprinkle salt over it, and then run the hot iron over it. That’s it; you are done cleaning your iron.
53. Clean fan blades: To clean your fan blades, cover the blades with a spare pillow cover, scrub it gently and then remove it. You’ll see that the pillow cover has attracted all the dust particles.
54. Clean iron dishes: Do you know how to clean iron dishes? No? Then here is a very simple way out. Just take some sea salt pour it over iron dishes, use a normal cloth to scrub the dish that has salt sprinkled over it, remove the salt, and you are done!
55. Clean your silver wares: To clean your silver wares and make it look new, just clean them up using baking soda. Scrub them with baking soda, keep them for a while and then wash them completely.
56. Remove stains from faucets: To remove stains from faucets just take a lemon, and scrub it on the faucets, keep it for a while and then wash it using normal water. That’s it!
57. Remove chewing gum stains: To remove chewing gum stains from your clothes just dab an ice cube over it to make it hard, so that it can be removed easily.
58. Clean your shoes: Most of us use ordinary detergent to clean the shoes, but there’s another easy way to clean your shoes, and that is by using tooth paste. Use a spare brush and take a certain amount of paste over it, then brush it over the shoes. After brushing thoroughly wash your shoes with water, and let it dry under sun.
59. Clean your grater: To clean your grater, the best thing which you can use is a raw chunk of potatoes. Grate the raw chunk of potatoes using your unclean grader, and clean it up.
60. Clean up stains from toilet: To clean up stains from your toilet bowl, just fill a spray bottle with mixture of vinegar and water, and spray it over the toilet bowl and let it sit one hour. Then after an hour wash brush the bowl using a toilet brush and then flush it. You will see there is not a single stain left in the toilet bowl.
61. Get rid of mold: The best way to get rid of molds is by using bleach. Just take a cotton ball and soak it in a mixture of bleach and water. Take out the cotton ball and place it over a mold affected area; keep it overnight. Then next morning wear gloves and press the cotton ball to the molds, or just remove the cotton and scrub the molds using a brush. You’ll see all the molds have vanished!
Over to you
If you are aware other cleaning hacks which is effective in cleaning dirt, spots and stains, feel free to share with me and I will be happy to update this post.
And if you liked this post, please share it across and let your friends benefit from this super compilation of amazing cleaning tips. And in case you need deep cleaning solutions, you may check rates of local cleaners absolutely free.