Whether you are planning to do a local home shifting or you after a long distance home shifting, keeping track of everything during your move is essential. Unless you have a good plan in place and a good to follow list of things to be done, you may end up in a mess during home shifting in India. It’s a complicated process and the only way to get it right is to be prepared and monitor and track everything as closely as possible. Here’s a post you may like to check out on dealing with stress and anxiety of packing and moving a house in India.
Here’s a quick and real simple checklist for home shifting in India. Feel free to take a printout of this checklist or note it down on a paper. Its okay to edit and amend this home shifting checklist as per your home shifting requirements and circumstances that you are in.
- Start organizing everything. And to begin with you can list out thing that you want to move
- Make another list of your household goods which you don’t want to move and sort it out.
- Work out on a schedule for moving and other important activities.
- Make a list of essential good like medicine, medical reports and other documentation needs. While you are busy monitoring other process you may forget to carry essential medicines ( may not apply to everyone).
- If you have decided to sell out any of your furniture or other stuff, start doing that because it may take more than anticipated time.
- Start researching about home shifting service providers/moving companies.
- Take home shifting estimates from at least three different moving companies to be on the safer side and compare their profile and offers before you hire one.
- Hire a mover when you have enough time in hand that way you can explore more options and hire one who suits you.
- If you have decided to do some of the packing yourself then arrange packing materials and fix a schedule to do it.
- You have to close your gas connection or transfer it to the city you are moving to, arrange for that.
- If you are staying in a rented house, then notify your landlord about your move and settle any rent advance etc if applicable.
- Just check about your new house and ensure it’s ready to be occupied.
- Arrange payments for grocery shops, newspaper vendor and any other party as applicable.
- Change your address in any communication if you have to.
- Remind movers in advance about the schedule of packing and delivery.
- When movers come for packing, get the essentials packed to be carried with yourself.
- Assist movers in packing your stuff and just keep an eye on how things are getting packed.
- Get transit insurance worked out before transporting your goods.
- Get your home cleaned before you finally move.
- Carry all your documents, jewelleries and other important valuables and possessions with yourself.
No amount of preparedness is enough when it’s about packing and shifting a house. So observe and monitor everything quite carefully during home shifting in India.