Due to lack of space and increasing prices of properties, size of the living room has decreased significantly. 3 BHK flats are available in less than 900 SQFT carpet areas. Naturally, we end up with a smaller living room and other rooms. If you feel that size of your living room is comparatively smaller, there is no reason to worry. There are ways to make living room brighter and bigger. The living room is a semi formal space of your sweet home, and hence you should put lots of efforts in looking at what to do to make the room uncluttered, brighter, bigger and beautiful. It’s important to know how to decorate the living room so that it look good. It’s also important to know what not to do and what to do while decorating the living room and that’s what we are going to discover in this post.
I want to share some quick and simple ways to help you make living room brighter and bigger.
Whatever the size of the room is, if you can decorate it properly, it’s going to look good. Making the room look bigger and brighter has nothing to do with huge monetary investments. You can decorate the living room on budget by following some the tricks we are discussing hereunder.
Tips to make living room brighter and bigger
You can’t really alter the layout of the living room (civil changes, in most of the cases), but you can definitely decorate in such a way that it will look good. And here’s how to get it right;
- Light neutral shades: Select light neutral shades for the walls of the room, like beige or pop corn white. These kinds of light colours will make the room look bigger than the actual size. Leave the ceiling white so that it can reflect more light.
- Multiple functioning furniture: Buy ottoman furniture or sofa cum bed for the small living room. You can use the set of three drawers as table tops also. Try using the single furniture in maximum number of ways possible. If you are keeping a centre table in the room, then you can use the racks below it for keeping books and magazines, important bills etc. Like this, you do not have to keep extra furniture in the room for stashing your items.
- Windows: The windows and doors must be big enough so that the room looks more spacious. The doors and the windows will let in more natural lights in the room during the day time.
- Adjoining balcony: If you are staying in your house and not an apartment, then you can construct a balcony adjoining the living room. The balcony will make the room look bigger as it will be a continuation of the same space. You can decorate the balcony with hanging garden or some matching rugs and cushions, or even a hammock to make the room more appealing.
- Rugs: Do not use floor to floor carpets; rather keep some portions of the floor bare. Covering the total floor with carpets can make the room look much smaller.
- Curtains: Make the curtains long so that it touches the floors. The curtains must be wide enough to cover the whole window; it must exceed at least 2 inches on both the sides.
- Bright lights: Use very bright lights for the small room as the bright lights can really make the room look bigger.
- Monochromatic look: Give the room a monochromatic look; choose the colour of the curtains similar to the colour of the walls. This will make the room monochromatic. Also choose similar colours of rugs and couches so that they get along together.
- Mirror: Hang a mirror on the wall opposite to the light source, so that the light reflects and make the room look bigger and brighter.
Over to you
Brighter rooms are always better than the dull ones. Think properly, choose décor elements and accessories wisely and keep the overall theme lighter and you will have a nice, warm and bright living area. Apart from the tricks that I have shared above to make the room brighter and beautiful, don’t hesitate in taking professional help from an interior designer company.
How do you ensure that your living room is bright, look good and warm?