When you are planning to relocate with all household goods and articles, be it domestic or local, the first question that comes to mind is the overall expense, no? How much does it cost to avail movers services to relocate everything safely? What’s the best way to calculate moving expenses? Over cost of relocating becomes an important factor apart from the credibility of the relocation company you are planning to hire. In this post, I am going to answer some of the most important questions on calculating expense, hiring movers the right way and other noteworthy points.
While moving household goods, the main task that you have to do is plan the items which you want to include while moving. Do not select any items that are already available in your new place, do not buy any new appliances or furniture before you are moving, as more the items the higher will be the shifting charge.
Overview of moving expenses
When you start talking to a moving company to relocate household goods and articles, they like to do a quick survey or get the list of items that is to be packed and moved. Depending on the inventory of goods and distance, they calculate a rough estimate for moving services. Here are a few of the important things that matters while calculating the moving expenses;
- The moving companies decide on the quotes based on the distance, type of service, size, and time frame of the move.
- The costs include labor, fuel, equipments, toll tax, and time required for the moving of the goods.
- You have to give very specific and detailed description of the goods that you are planning to move, as according to the items the cost will be set.
- The number of furniture, appliances, boxes, each and every detail must be given.
- Make yourself flexible, as there is a chance of getting a better deal if your time matches with theirs. Be flexible with your pickups or delivery dates, especially if you plan to move your goods on shared basis (when you have just a few items to relocate).
Calculating moving moving expenses and getting estimates?
So when you contact movers and packers agency with your relocation requirements, they give you an estimate; a ballpark idea of the overall moving expense.
- The moving companies provide you a non-binding estimate initially. This non-binding estimate is based on the number of items and the weights. But this is not a final binding given by the mover.
- The actual price of moving on the contract will exceed a little bit more than the initial non-binding estimate, as here they will include cost of insurance only after inspecting your goods or based on value declared by yourself.
- The estimate must be in written, so that there is a documentation of the whole procedure. Sign the contract after checking every detail, whether all the items are included or not.
- To receive the most accurate quote, make sure that all the items that you want to be moved are mentioned.
- If there are any additional value added services which is not included in the initial quotation, then they may charge you additionally. For example, at times people want to store the goods in the warehouse for a week or two because their home is not yet ready or for other unavoidable circumstances.
Final moving contract
- The moving contract is an official document given to you on behalf of the moving company. The contract is generally given after you have completed all the conversation with the moving company. If you are satisfied with the initial proceedings, then they will present their contract to you where you are required to sign.
- Take some time and understand each and every word of the contract. Double check whether all the items are mentioned or not.
- Read the contract thoroughly, and if you have any queries then contact the manager of the moving company which you have hired.
- You contract must have the cost of the inventory/warehouse for storing your belongings.
In case the items are damaged or lost, they must be on the inventory for the insurance purpose.
- Request the moving company to add in the contract the name of the employees who are assigned to do the job of moving your goods.
- Also, ask the company to add gratuities in the contract.
- The information that the moving contract must have are:
- Name and address of the company
- Origin and destination addresses
- Time and date of pickup and delivery
- Insurance and terms
- Payment terms
- A moving contract is the first step of your defense if anything goes wrong in the move. Sign the contract after reading it carefully. Keep a copy of the contract with you always.
Before signing the contract, just make sure you understand every terms and condition well. if there is any doubt, you better ask the mover and get it clarified, be it on various cost heads or on transit insurance.
I have discussed the major points regarding the moving contract and the moving estimates in bullet points so that you can understand easily, at a glance. Make sure to follow the points to avoid any undue unwanted hassles in future. Once the deal is signed and the move is being initiated, then you cannot time travel and make things right. So, before you sign the final contract, read and understand everything well to avoid any dispute moving forward. I hope you have a safe and secure relocation!