When you step into your home, you are welcomed by the living room. That’s the room which cordially receives you, your guests, friends, neighbors and relatives. Living room is that special room where you tend to get extra lazy the moment you enter your sweet home. You feel the gasping need to throw yourself on the couch, to open the shoes and socks and keep it hanging on the arm of the sofa. You feel the urge to pile the clothes on the sofa. And obviously there is the same old couch where you eat while watching television. The living room undergoes lot of pressure, and hence the look, beauty and cleanliness of the room are often compromised. Continue reading How to Maintain the Cleanliness of Living Room of Your House Easily
Due to lack of space and increasing prices of properties, size of the living room has decreased significantly. 3 BHK flats are available in less than 900 SQFT carpet areas. Naturally, we end up with a smaller living room and other rooms. If you feel that size of your living room is comparatively smaller, there is no reason to worry. There are ways to make living room brighter and bigger. The living room is a semi formal space of your sweet home, and hence you should put lots of efforts in looking at what to do to make the room uncluttered, brighter, bigger and beautiful. It’s important to know how to decorate the living room so that it look good. It’s also important to know what not to do and what to do while decorating the living room and that’s what we are going to discover in this post.
I want to share some quick and simple ways to help you make living room brighter and bigger.
Whatever the size of the room is, if you can decorate it properly, it’s going to look good. Making the room look bigger and brighter has nothing to do with huge monetary investments. You can decorate the living room on budget by following some the tricks we are discussing hereunder.
Tips to make living room brighter and bigger
You can’t really alter the layout of the living room (civil changes, in most of the cases), but you can definitely decorate in such a way that it will look good. And here’s how to get it right;
- Light neutral shades: Select light neutral shades for the walls of the room, like beige or pop corn white. These kinds of light colours will make the room look bigger than the actual size. Leave the ceiling white so that it can reflect more light.
- Multiple functioning furniture: Buy ottoman furniture or sofa cum bed for the small living room. You can use the set of three drawers as table tops also. Try using the single furniture in maximum number of ways possible. If you are keeping a centre table in the room, then you can use the racks below it for keeping books and magazines, important bills etc. Like this, you do not have to keep extra furniture in the room for stashing your items.
- Windows: The windows and doors must be big enough so that the room looks more spacious. The doors and the windows will let in more natural lights in the room during the day time.
- Adjoining balcony: If you are staying in your house and not an apartment, then you can construct a balcony adjoining the living room. The balcony will make the room look bigger as it will be a continuation of the same space. You can decorate the balcony with hanging garden or some matching rugs and cushions, or even a hammock to make the room more appealing.
- Rugs: Do not use floor to floor carpets; rather keep some portions of the floor bare. Covering the total floor with carpets can make the room look much smaller.
- Curtains: Make the curtains long so that it touches the floors. The curtains must be wide enough to cover the whole window; it must exceed at least 2 inches on both the sides.
- Bright lights: Use very bright lights for the small room as the bright lights can really make the room look bigger.
- Monochromatic look: Give the room a monochromatic look; choose the colour of the curtains similar to the colour of the walls. This will make the room monochromatic. Also choose similar colours of rugs and couches so that they get along together.
- Mirror: Hang a mirror on the wall opposite to the light source, so that the light reflects and make the room look bigger and brighter.
Over to you
Brighter rooms are always better than the dull ones. Think properly, choose décor elements and accessories wisely and keep the overall theme lighter and you will have a nice, warm and bright living area. Apart from the tricks that I have shared above to make the room brighter and beautiful, don’t hesitate in taking professional help from an interior designer company.
How do you ensure that your living room is bright, look good and warm?
Let’s face this. We want our living room to look just amazing, irrespective of whether it’s small or large in size. Because the living room the formal sitting area of the house is most essential space. Also the living room of the home reflects the personality of the inhabitants. But you have to think differently in order to decorate small living room, because you have limited space and you can’t go wrong with the overall décor. Continue reading How to Decorate Small Living Room in Indian Style
Recently a fried has moved into a new home after proper interior work. I was amazed to see how well organized the space looked, especially her bedroom and the living area. I was struggling to make living room spacious but when I saw her living area, I knew what is to be done to make living room spacious. With my current setup (of living area), there were so many things wrong, obviously, it’s a rented space without any interior work, so furniture, sofa, tools etc is taking lots of space. Continue reading Make Living Room Spacious Using Simple and Smart Tricks
Home decoration need not to be an expensive affair all the time. There are many inexpensive ways to decorate home like using decals or accessorizing curtains, replacing cushion etc. I often change various decor elements at my home to make it look good. Continue reading 28 Inexpensive Ways to Decorate Home – Tips for Every Room
Decorating an empty corner in living room or bedroom can be challenging at times. We fail to figure out whether we should keep a lamp on a round table or put a house plant over there. This is a very common problem faced by many people, but very few of them notice it, or think of filling up the emptiness of the living room. Decorating or filling an empty corner in living room isn’t difficult at all, but is extremely tricky. Sometimes it’s just fine to leave a corner empty depending upon what else is going on in your space, but other times there’s a corner that feels like it needs something. Continue reading Empty Corner in Living Room: Here’s how to fill it creatively
Did you know that the best way to decorate your living room is not by spending lots of money on various decor elements and you can decorate your living room well by spending way less? Living room is one of the most important parts of your house because that’s the area where you are supposed to welcome your guests and friends. Obviously we want our living room décor to be the best – best in style, look, and comfort … and the list goes on.
I personally like to keep it simple and elegant. I rarely spend money on costly decor materials and rather try using handmade stuff to decorate my living room. The problem with living room decoration is we often get bored with one set of décor and hence we feel like experimenting. I am sure you have experimented with various ideas too to decorate your living room. Continue reading Decorate Your Living Room For Less – living room decor tips
The living room or drawing room is the place where you spend most of your leisure time reading or watching TV. This is the place where you usher your guests too. Hence your living room should be uncluttered, with well balanced colors, and a sense of elegance. It is the most important part of your house hence living room decoration is very important. One look at your living room would be enough to create an impression about your style sense and taste.
India is a diverse nation with people from various cultures and region. Their taste also varies when it comes to style and elegance, every one of them have their own sense of style and tastes in accordance with the regions and cultural background where they belong to. So it is almost impossible to generalize them in any way.
Are you having a hard time decorating and arranging your small living room, which is too small to properly accommodate or arrange too many stuffs? Don’t be hopeless, take it up as a challenge! The basic challenge while decorating or arranging a small living room is its tiny space, which evokes a claustrophobic feeling. Thus, you need to clear up the clutters in order to dispel the gawky look. But that wouldn’t be a big issue if you properly plan things.
Here are some ways that will help you to arrange all the stuffs in your small living room beautifully.
Arranging furniture in living room
- Start off the arrangement by spotting or choosing a focal point, in the living room. This can be anything, your big television, fireplace, or the sofa/couch placed in the living room. After spotting the focal point, start arranging the rest of the room.
- First, position the largest piece of furniture, and then arrange all the other small units in and around it. The largest piece of furniture in a living room is usually the sofa, which should be placed right opposite to the television or the home-theatre.
- Arrange all the small chairs and other seats around the sofa in such a way that, they are perpendicular to it. The small sitting units should either be angled inwards in order to create a conversation area, or should be facing towards the television.
- Place a centre table in between the sofa and the television. And you may also place a side table, at the side of the sofas.
Review accessories of the living room
- The foremost thing that you have to think while arranging a living room, is to keep it spacious and clutter free. Fix floating shelves or slim cabinets in the living room, which can be used to store loads of things. These shelves and cabinets can be used to display many decorative items too.
- A flat LED TV can be mounted on the wall, and a book-shelf can be placed just beside it, to make the area look good. You may also opt to fix a book-shelf on top of the television set.
- Make the space cosy by placing a throw rug in the center. Alternatively, you can even use it to demarcate the conversation area.
Basic rules to keep in mind
- Make sure that you don’t cram your living room with too many sitting units. Avoid cluttering the place with plenty of knick-knacks, and other decorative items.
- While placing the furniture, make sure they don’t block doorways or the hallways. None of these pieces should even obstruct the walls.
- Every knick-knacks and furnitures should match the theme of the living room.
Over to your
Honestly speaking, there are no hard and fix rule to arrange a small living room. You can do whatever makes you and your guests comfortable. After all, its you who will understand what best suits your home. If you are still unsure about following these tips and arranging your small living room yourself, then hire an interior designer, who can help you get your living room revamped with their magic touch.
If you have an experience of re-arranging your living area in a different way, then please share it with us in the box below.